Thursday, January 16, 2014

The Great American Vacation Series (Post #8)

 
So we have finished going through my first folder! I have two more so there are going to be a few more posts of "The Great American Vacation" Series. I hope that you have enjoyed going through these with me. Not like you get much choice! Ha-ha-ha. But seriously, I really do hope that you like this series. The next few pictures aren't in order of how we saw them but they are still enjoyable!
 
This is our first Bison that we saw up close. It was the middle of summer so they were shedding but I don't think that pictures give them justice. They are fantastically huge animals and quite amazing
at that! 
This is another one of those sulfuric spots. I just thought that the scenery was amazing with it.
This is a lake that we passed by on the road. I thought that it looked like a picture that could have been a screen saver. I thought that they blue on blue was really nice and that the lake looked so peaceful.
Again, this is a testimony to the vast differences in Yellowstone. When we were there my dad pondered what the Indians thought when they first saw some of these places. They had no clue about underground sulfuric streams or anything so it probably was a big shock. Also, most of these places are hidden within surrounding hills and such so most of the time you can't even see them until you're at them. I was even surprised most of the time. There are just so many different things to see. 

I don't exactly remember the name of this place but I think it looks a bit like marshmallows. It is formed by sulfuric water cooling off and hardening. Then another layer is formed over it as it cools and hardens. It is pretty neat! Science in action!
 
Here is a close up view of the rocks. Here you can see all the different layers.
 
This is a lion outside of a Post Office. I took a picture of this because when my grandma was little her mom took a picture of her sitting on top of it. That was about 50 years ago and the lion is still there. This post office has some neat items and the P.O. boxes were vintage and everything. I didn't take any pictures of the inside but you should take a trip there too so you can see it!

We were having a little car trouble and stopped to let the engine cool off and Emily saw this sign and wanted to have some fun so here is our "Point" (ha-ha) of interest! 

This is called Sheepeater Cliff (as you can see from the sign). I thought that this was especially interesting as we live near Shoshone. This cliff was named after the Shoshone Indians because of their use of the Bighorn sheep. Plus, Shoshone, ID has a really great ice cream place on the main street that goes to the highway!
Here is a close up view of the cliff. You can see the individual stones that make the cliff up.

I want to say that this is called the twin geysers because there are two of them, but don't quote me on that because I am not for sure. Crazy how it could have two in one spot!
 
 
SNEEK PEAK: This is what I am going to be talking about next week so stay tuned for more!

No comments:

Post a Comment