Wednesday, January 8, 2014

The Great American Vacation Series (Post #7)

Hello! I want to get finished with this series pretty soon so this post is going to be filled with lots of fun and excitement! And sorry in advance if it takes a while to load because of the massive amounts of pictures. ;)

Today you get to see Old Faithful. Now, the story behind old faithful is that it is called this because it goes off every hour on the hour, or at least it used to. When we had the big earth quake in South America (2010) it shifted the plates so much that now Old Faithful goes off every hour on the hour give or take ten minutes. I find it fascinating that an earth quake like that could cause change so far away from the source of the actual event. I would also like to say that I felt that earthquake in Idaho. Crazy right!

Anyway here are a few pictures:

These first ones are of Old Faithful, pictures simply don't give it justice. It was incredibly tall and amazing so if you get the opportunity you should go see it for yourself.





This picture is part of the crowd that gathered to watch Old Faithful, we were sitting in about the middle and that is only one side, of course it was also the middle of summer so there were a lot of people.

After Old Faithful we continued to drive around Yellow Stone, we saw this pond along the way at a rest stop and I thought that it was so pretty so I took a picture of it.
 
Here is a close up of one of the lilies.
 
We finally did see some bison, although we never did see a bear

This is an extreme zoom for a picture, I was pretty proud of my camera. Just looking at them from the road they were tiny dots out in the grass. Nice!
 
 
This is a picture of my family at the Continental Divide, some nice lady took a picture of all of us.

My sisters and I decided to have some fun with the sign. Ha-ha, get it? Continental DIVIDE!
 
This is called Dragon Mouth Cave, if I remember correctly. I thought it was neat because it really does look like there is a dragon that lives here!

This is a closer view of the Dragon's Mouth.
 
This was called the miniature Bryce Canyon, which we visited last summer. It is located in Utah. I would have to say though that it does look very similar.

This is part of the river that we drove by, I just thought that the Rainbow was nice.
 
So I hope that you enjoyed today's pictures, there are a lot more things to talk about so this series will be running quite frequently in the next few weeks. I hope you enjoy looking at them as much as I enjoy writing about them. I do have to say that it is nice to look at these pictures right now because the weather here now is so yucky and the pictures remind me of summer.
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment